There are two ways to recover your deleted Snapchat memories on your iPhone- using iCloud photos or Snapchat Data Archive (recommended). To recover the photos through Snapchat Data Archive, sign into your Snapchat account, and go to Settings> My Data> Memories. From here, you can submit a request to extract the deleted Snapchat memories.
Not all hope is lost if you accidentally delete all your Snapchat memories (both photos and videos). There are quite a few methods you can use to retrieve your Snapchat memories.
In this article, I’ll explain two ways to help you recover deleted Snapchat memories on your iPhone. Now let’s begin.
Recovery from iCloud (Fast and Easy Method)
Retrieving deleted photos using iCloud is the most common recovery method for iPhone users. If your iPhone is connected to a valid Apple ID, follow the steps below.
- Log in to iCloud
On your iPhone, launch your Browser (Safari, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox). Then sign in to your iCloud account with your Touch ID or the Apple ID.
- Select the Category of Files You Wish to Recover
Once you log in successfully, it takes you to the homepage, where you can see the category of files you wish to access.
These files could be your mail, iCloud drive, notes, photos, passwords, and more since we are dealing with photos, select Photos.
- Select the Photos You Want to Restore
After selecting Photos from the main menu, carefully select the pictures you want to restore. All the photos that made it to your iPhone gallery should be here.
- Download the Deleted Photos
Choose the photos you wish to restore and then click Download. Just like that, you have your pictures back in your snapchat memories.
However, if somehow your device is not connected to an iCloud account or you did not set up Snapchat with iCloud, the process mentioned above won’t work.
So, after signing in to your iCloud, if you see no traces of your Snapchat memories, you’ll need to follow the method I’ll discuss next.
2. Recovery from Snapchat’s My Data Archive (Recommended)
- Launch the Snapchat app.
- Locate the settings on the top right corner of the app.
- Click on the Settings app and then click on My data.
- Sign in again with your Login details.
- After you have successfully logged in again, click on Memories.
- You have to submit your request for your memories at the bottom of the page.
- Snapchat’s support team will reach out to you, but it will take time. Then they will send you an email with a link attached to the deleted data.
- After you click the link from the email, it will redirect you to the MyData page. Here, you will see the zip file named “MyData”.
- Download the zip file. The duration of the download depends on how large the file size is.
Not sure how to extract photos from a zip file? Follow this video guide for an easy maneuver.
And just like that, your iPhone Snapchat memories are restored back to normal!
How To Backup Your Photos On iCloud?
iPhone automatically backup user data if the device is signed in with an Apple ID. Each iCloud is allocated 2 TB of storage. And you can back up all types of photos, videos, text messages, emails, passwords, etc., using iCloud.
To backup saved photos on iCloud from your iPhone, follow the steps below-
WiFi Strength: Connect your iPhone to a strong WiFi network. Because any interruption while backing up may take you to the beginning of the process. Besides, chances are high that some important data will not sync and slip to be stored.
Backup Process: Then go to Settings > Apple ID and select iCloud. From here, select iCloud Backup > Back Up Now.
If you accidentally delete Snapchat memories from your iPhone storage, you can easily access the photos from your iCloud. I’ve already mentioned how you can recover deleted Snapchat memories. Just follow the steps, and you’ll have your photos recovered in no time.
How To Avoid Permanently Deleting Your Snapchat Memories?
The best way to avoid deleting Snapchat pictures is to save Memories to your device manually. Besides, Snapchat has a Smart Backup feature that automatically backs up all the saved photos.
Do the following to enable this feature and ensure you never permanently lose any of your Snapchat memories.
- Open the Snapchat app and go to the Settings page. From here, select the section Memories.
- Check the box beside Smart Backup. This ensures that your memories are safely backed up over mobile data if WiFi or hotspot is unavailable.
- Now tap on the Save To… option and check to mark the Memories & Camera Roll. This is to ensure your Snapchat Memories are saved both on your iPhone and Snapchat cloud storage.
This way, your Snapchat Memories are fully backed up in two different cloud storages- iCloud and Snapchat backup. So, even if you accidentally delete the picture from your gallery, you can instantly retrieve them without hassle.
As you can see, you can recover deleted Snapchat memories on your iPhone in two different ways. So, which one should you choose?
Well, I would recommend first checking your iCloud. You can almost immediately retrieve the deleted photos/videos using iCloud. However, if the iCloud did not keep a backup of your Snapchat memories made very recently, you’ll have to contact Snapchat support. In this case, the second method comes highly recommended.