Just like any other electronic device, your AirPods charging case might stop working without any notice. So you might want to know, do AirPods work if the case is dead?
Yes, your AirPods will continue functioning without any interruption even if the case is dead as long as they are charged. AirPods run on lithium-ion batteries that can easily stream audio for 5 hours when fully charged.
Plus, you won’t need the case for connecting to your already paired Apple devices. However, once the battery charge is finished, you’ll surely need the case to charge your AirPods. Otherwise, the device won’t work at all.
Let’s dig deeper into this topic and find out how to solve the most common issues related to the charging case and the AirPods themselves.
- What Does an AirPods Charging Case Do?
- Sometimes Cases Don’t Show Lights, But That Doesn’t Mean It’s Dead!
- Don’t Confuse ‘Connecting the AirPods’ Over ‘Using the Airpods’
- Possible Reasons for AirPod Cases Are Dying Too Fast – Talking About the Charge Draining Out
- Your Case Is Dead and You Want A New One – What Should You Do?
- Wrapping Up!
What Does an AirPods Charging Case Do?
Now, you might be wondering what’s the need for the charging case and how it works. Also, why do you need the charging case to play audio on your AirPods? Let’s find out!
- Of course, you can’t charge your AirPods without a fully functional case. Although they use different batteries, the AirPods are designed to be charged only and only with the charging case. However, you have the liberty of using a different charging case from some other Apple AirPods.
- Charging cases make connecting and switching to your Apple device super easy and seamless. All you have to do is flip the lid and tap ‘Connect’ on your phone. The connection will be set and you can enjoy uninterrupted music whenever you want!
- A charging case is the key indicator of battery percentage and AirPod issues. The signaling light on the case turns green when fully charged and switches to red when the battery percentage is low.
- Also, it turns white during pairing with a device and flashes a red light to indicate that your AirPods need troubleshooting.
Sometimes Cases Don’t Show Lights, But That Doesn’t Mean It’s Dead!
First things first, you need to know the indicators of a dead charging case. Surely you have noticed the signaling light on your AirPods case. In general, a bright green light indicates that your AirPods are fully charged and the charging case is working well.
When the light turns red, it means that the battery percentage is critically low. Sometimes it also means the AirPods are pairing with a new device. If the light completely stops flashing, it indicates a dead charging case in most cases.
However, sometimes you might not see any light even though the AirPods are charged and the case is fully functional. This problem is pretty common for AirPods and trying some simple fixes might help you solve it.
- Start with the obvious, plug your AirPods charger into the charging case and wait for at least one hour. Then flip the charging case lid to see if the light has turned on.
- If this doesn’t work, you should try different chargers and see which one works for you.
- Thoroughly inspect your charging wire for tears or other issues. You can also use wireless chargers if you have one.
- The last option is to reset the charging case. For this, plug your charger into the charging port and hold the setup button on the back of your charging case for a long time. After that, let the case charge up a bit, and hold the button again for a few seconds.
- This often resets the charging case and fixes the issues with the signal light. Otherwise, you might need a replacement case in case it’s actually dead.
Don’t Confuse ‘Connecting the AirPods’ Over ‘Using the Airpods’
As you’re trying to find out if your AirPods will ‘work’ when the case is dead, you need to know the difference between connecting and using AirPods. You can use the AirPods if the case is dead, but won’t be able to connect them to your Apple device. Here’s why-
Connecting AirPods with Dead Case
As you know, you need to open the charging case to establish a connection between your AirPods and a new Apple device. Software powers this connection using the AirPods charging case. So, if the charging case is dead, you can’t connect the AirPods even if they are fully charged.
Using AirPods with Dead Case
If your AirPods have been already connected to the destined device, you can use the AirPods for streaming audio or making calls even if the case is dead.
That’s because the charging case and your AirPods use different sets of lithium-ion batteries. Therefore, as long as your AirPods are charged, you can use them for 4 to 5 hours without any charging case.
Possible Reasons for AirPod Cases Are Dying Too Fast – Talking About the Charge Draining Out
Your AirPod cases aren’t providing as much listening time as they did before? Well, here are some reasons why the cases might be running off battery too fast.
- Every time you flip the charging case, it uses its battery to immediately establish a connection. So, if you keep the case open without any reason or keep your AirPods out of the case for a long time, the battery will drain sooner.
- The AirPods battery charge quite fast, however, premium features like automatic ear detection, noise cancellation, and others drag more battery life.
- Increasing the volume over the standard safe level will quickly drain your AirPods charge
- Lithium-ion batteries are sensitive to extreme temperatures. Keeping the case in extremely high or low temperatures causes it to die faster
- Finally, the battery inside the charging case will eventually lose its efficiency after some years. AirPod cases with old batteries will lose charge faster than the new ones.
Your Case Is Dead and You Want A New One – What Should You Do?
If your charging case isn’t functioning at all, you can go with either of these three options-
- Check if you have any extra AirPods set with a charging case. An older charging case will also work if the configurations are the same. This will save you a considerable amount of money and loads of trouble.
- The second option is to get an official replacement from Apple. As Apple doesn’t offer any warranty for dead or damaged charging cases, you need to pay some extra bucks to get a new case. Depending on your location, you have to spend between $59 and $99.
- Yes, this is an expensive deal, but it has some benefits too. You’re getting a fully functional new set with long battery life. Plus, the case will work optimally without causing any charging or connection issues.
- Lastly, you can cut the cost a bit by going for an unofficial third-party replacement case. For most users, they work just fine. However, you might face under or overcharging issues, connection errors, and pairing problems while using a third-party charging case.
So, do AirPods work if the case is dead? Now you know the answer. You can use your charged AirPods without any case. But, this is not a permanent solution as the battery charge will eventually come to an end.
So, the best option is to charge the dead case as soon as possible. If it stops working completely, getting a new case is your only option.