Best free audiobook apps for iPhone include Apple books, Audible, Libby, Hoopla Digital, Kobo books, Google Play Books, Amazon Kindle, Chirp Audiobooks, and Scribd.
Though it’s important to note that the majority of iOS apps offer the best experience as premium versions. Moreover, considering the several audiobook apps on the Apple store, finding the best free ones can be quite a task.
This post shares some light on the best free audiobook app for iPhone from which you can make a choice. However, these options are likely to become premium over time as it’s with previous iPhone apps. In the meantime, they function well as good alternatives to the premium versions.
The audiobook apps listed above will help you through your busy daily schedule. Let me review each of them to help you better understand their specific functions.
- Best Free Audiobook App for iPhone
- How to install audiobook apps on your iPhone
- What To Consider When Choosing The Best Free Audiobook App For iPhone?
- Should I use a free or Premium App?
Best Free Audiobook App for iPhone
1. Apple Books
This is the most compatible audiobook device for iPhone users. With many rich categories, it is a favorite with numerous downloads. Apple Books covers popular categories like fiction, romance, comics, and more.
Popular voice-over actors and authors do the narration feature on the app. Moreover, the audio quality is superb. It has no premium version. So, intending users can install Apple Books for free on the Apple Store to explore all its features. Download with this link.
- Works for all Apple devices
- Supports family sharing
- You can set reading goals to keep track of your progress
- Simple user Interface design
- Supports CarPlay
|App Name||Apple Books|
|Compatible devices||Requires iOS 9.0 or later.|
|Developer||Cross Forward Consulting, LLC|
watch this video to learn more helpful tips.
This is the most popular audiobook, with extensive playback features, easy navigation, and multitasking. It supports offline downloads and background playback.
Audible supports the Amazon Whispersync feature, which you can use to switch from audiobook to eBook. The app also gives users access to short-form narratives and original audio programs.
This app comes in both free and premium versions. Although the free version provides just enough for users, they can do so much with its premium features. For instance, free version users don’t have access to its offline feature and can’t create their library on the app.
Follow this link to install Audible for free on the Apple apps store.
- Offline listening feature
- Multiple audio contents are available.
- Works well with the Amazon Whispersync feature.
- Leverage to create personal libraries and premium titles to listen to.
|Compatible devices||Requires iOS 15 or higher versions|
3. Hoopla Digital
Another free alternative to premium audiobook apps is Hoopla Digital. This app serves as a local library. You can borrow free audiobooks, movies, eBooks, and even music from the public library. It has an abundance of bestsellers to choose from.
There are no premium versions for this app, which means users can access all its features for free. This makes the Hoopla Digital app a totally free downloadable option on the Apple Store.
- It is available offline.
- There are no late fees charged for borrowed books.
- It is available on Apple TV and a lot of platforms.
- No unnecessary ads.
- New titles available for exploration monthly.
|App Name||Hoopla Digital|
|Compatible devices||iOS 13.0 or later versions are required.|
|Developer||Midwest Tape LLC|
4. Kobo Books
Kobo Books is designed with a lot of unique features. Users are entitled to one free book a month. It is easy to use, and the display can be adjusted according to your preferences.
It also supports popular languages that include; Spanish, French, Italian, German, Japanese, and many more. Install Kobo Books directly on the Apple Store for free to access all its exciting features through.
Key Features of Kobo Books:
- Supports multiple devices.
- It is compatible with CarPlay.
- Available in lots of languages
- It has an extensive book catalog.
- You can preview books before downloading them.
|App Name||Kobo Book|
|Compatible devices||iOS 14 or higher devices|
5. Google Play Books
For fans of Google services, this is the app you need. Here you can purchase audiobooks individually rather than subscribing. One of the standout features is the listen-in browser option.
Follow this link to install the Google Play Books app for free on the Apple Store.
- Does not need a subscription.
- Supports CarPlay.
- Can play in your browser.
- Access to millions of eBooks online.
- Play audios using the Siri voice recognition function.
|App Name||Google Play Books|
|Compatible devices||iOS 14.3 or higher versions|
6. Amazon Kindle
The Amazon Kindle app is a force to reckon with in the world of eBooks and audiobooks. You can combine your reading with narration on Amazon Kindle. You can also switch between reading or narration.
You can install the Amazon Kindle app for free on the Apple Store. However, there are premium versions with extra functions. While the free version allows you to access tons of eBooks, the premium versions improve your experience by clearing unnecessary ads.
Use this link to download the app
- You can use the eBook and audiobook features simultaneously.
- You will get a discount on the original price of the audiobook from Amazon.
- There is a wide catalog of books to listen to and download.
- Leverage to modify your text size, style, margins, orientation, and alignment.
- The Page Flip function allows you to skim, jump, and hop through pages.
|App Name||Amazon Kindle|
|Compatible devices||iOS 14 or higher|
|Developer||AMZN Mobile LLC|
7. Chirp Audiobooks
This audiobook is also a fan favorite since it requires no subscription. You can choose to stream or download the audiobooks. It gives you personalized suggestions based on the categories you love.
Chirp Audibooks has no premium version, as such, all features on it are accessible. Use this link to install the latest version of the app.
- It doesn’t need a subscription.
- Gives some of the best deals on audiobooks.
- Gives users a personalized experience.
- The Sleep Timer is pretty easy to use.
- Leverage to adjust the speed of an audio.
|App Name||Chirp audiobooks|
|Compatible devices||iOS 12 or higher|
On this audiobook app, users can access audiobooks, academic articles, magazines, newspapers, and different kinds of documents. You can set the narration speed to the pace you love and download it for offline listening.
Some of its features, like Offline Mode, are only available to premium users. But you can start by installing the free version on the Apple Store through. Although the features here are limited, there’s so much you can do with it.
- Easy to use
- Can function on Apple wristwatch devices.
- An exhaustive and rich content library
- Customizable narration speed
- Users can also access eBooks offline once downloaded.
|Compatible devices||iOS 13.0 or higher|
9. Libby (by overdrive)
With Libby, you don’t need to invest funds in buying an audiobook. Rather, you borrow them. It gives you access to libraries. Once you register, download the audiobook for offline use or stream them. Install the Libby audiobook on the Apple Store with this link.
- It provides users legal access to free audiobooks
- It supports local libraries
- You can access multiple libraries once you download the Libby app
- Sleep Timer function
- Leverage to include highlights, notes, and bookmarks.
|Compatible devices||iOS 10.0 or later|
iReader is equipped with a robust library and interesting page transition features. It also has a night mode that protects your eyes during long reading sessions. iReader is famous mostly for romantic audiobooks.
This app is free, but there are in-app purchases of iCoins ranging between 600 – 7200 iCoins to unlock chapters for paid books.
You can download iReader here for free here
- Many interesting books for users
- The page-flipping animation is similar to real paperbacks.
- Offline reading features by downloading books are also available.
- Night mode reading to protect your eyes.
- Available in multiple languages: English, Korean, Spanish, Indonesian, Thai, and Vietnamese.
- Well-designed user interface.
|Compatible Devices||iOS 12.4 or higher.|
|Developer||HK IReader Technology Limited|
This audiobook also serves as a digital library since it supports book lending. The library contains thousands of interesting best-sellers for users. You can use them as your local library and download books for offline purposes.
Users get a library ID making it one of the most organized apps on the Apple app store. It is free, and you can download it to experience amazing features
- Access to the free audiobook in their library.
- Access to local libraries near you online for more support of audiobooks.
- The borrowing feature is available on the app.
- Access to downloads after receiving your library ID.
- Unlimited access to quality books in different categories.
|Compatible Devices||iOS 11.0 or higher.|
|Developer||The New York Library Astor, Lenox, and Tilden Foundations.|
12. 50000 Books & Audiobooks
This app contains a vast collection of 50,000 books with up to 15,000 wonderful audiobooks for users. It also supports download and offline reading and listening.
- Supports about half a million ebooks for users to read.
- Over 15,000 audiobooks are available for fast download.
- Night mode is also available.
- Supports the in-app purchase of books before they are downloaded.
- Has an offline mode where users can read and listen without an internet connection.
|App Name||50000 Books & Audiobooks|
|Compatible Devices||iOS 12.0 or higher.|
|Developer||Free Apps LLC CA|
This innovative audiobook comes with a high-quality cinematic audio feature. It also supports literary works from best-selling authors. The app is user-friendly and supports offline mode, autoplay, and adjustable speed controls.
It is a free app with in-app purchases based on user preferences for more experience.
Download Realm here and enjoy the cool features.
- Supports the scroll and swipe reading options.
- Easy to switch between reading and listening.
- Has a different optimized user interface with color combinations to match.
- Supports downloading and listening to offline features.
- Dark and light modes are available, and other advanced features like intro and outro.
|Compatible Devices||iOS 13.0 or higher.|
|Developer||Serial Box Publishing LLC|
This app is surprisingly free and packs a load of benefits for users to enjoy. Audiobooks.com offers over 10,00 free audiobooks. It also has a large catalog of more than 350,000 books.
This app offers podcast services and many more smart features: Download it here
- Customizable sleep timer for bedtime reading.
- Access to over 100 million podcasts.
- Gives users access to the latest material.
- Has rich categories ranging from kid materials to advanced books.
- Easy to download and stream new podcast episodes.
- Users can select books based on the list of genre.
|Compatible Devices||iOS 12.0 or higher.|
|Developer||RB Audiobooks USA LLC|
How to install audiobook apps on your iPhone
To install any app on your iPhone, simply use the following steps.
- Go to your menu
- Open the App store on your device
- Search for the app you want to download
Click on the get button.
If the button shows open, you have already downloaded the app, or it is free.
For more information, watch this video:
What To Consider When Choosing The Best Free Audiobook App For iPhone?
There are key features to look out for when you want to subscribe to or download an audiobook app. Here are the most important ones:
Look out for an app that can support your devices or cut across various platforms. Some audiobook apps even support listening from a web browser.
The app must have extensive library resources with current and updated material.
Free content or discounts
For people that read a lot, you might not be able to purchase as many books as you would love. The app should support some free books you can make use of and save costs.
A lot of audiobook providers have added other engaging content to their platforms. Magazines and music are some of the new features that subscribers look out for.
Some apps provide valid user data on the audiobooks you have listened to or read. They also provide data on the amount of time spent listening to the audio materials.
Should I use a free or Premium App?
It is always better to use the premium plan for an application since it comes with more functions. Free apps, most times, are given limited functionalities and short time frames before they expire.
Most developers present the free mode as a test phase for users to experience some benefits from the app and come back for more.
Also, more effort and resources are put into developing a premium app than a free app. Most free apps will also lack customer support. Nevertheless, the free versions listed here prove effective for their specific uses.
Risks of Using Free Apps
There are risks involved when using free apps ranging from malware to privacy issues. They include:
Spyware and Malware:
The file’s authenticity can be highly compromised with a free application from untrusted sources.
Sometimes it can contain malware and spyware that will expose your data to risk. It is always advisable to be wary of them.
They can also leak private information on your device to the general public or steal your financial information.
It is always wise not to ignore the security prompts of your device or download apps from untrusted sources.
This is very dangerous for your device as free apps can be used to disguise trojan horses. These viruses can secretly install other apps without your knowledge.
This YouTube podcast on cyber security will be a guide.
Audiobooks maximize learning opportunities. The best free audiobook app for iPhone is down to the personal preference of the user. However, I recommend Audible, Libby, Hoopla Digital, Kobo books, Google Play Books, Amazon Kindle, Chirp audiobooks, Scribd, and Bound.
A free audiobook app is mostly limited in functionalities and may not provide access to the best materials. It is advisable to go for premium apps to safeguard against the risks of free applications.
Many free applications are prone to virus attacks and invasion of user privacy. It is advisable to download applications from trusted sources only, like your app store. Besides, you can use iPhone app locker apps to prevent “intruders” from accessing your audiobook library. And don’t forget to pair your iPhone with AirPods to level up your experience!